There’s something about deep blue color that suits all skin types; blondes, brunettes, redheads and pretty much anyone! The Aiko dress is all about that! A simple two-tone maxi dress in two shades of gorgeous blue: one is a rich navy Dress Blue linen and the other – yarn-dyed chambray linen from our signature Premier Finish collection. Classic a-line silhouette, round neck finished with facing, sleeveless style with two front accent pockets that look interesting while being very practical.
This easy beginner sewing project provides you with endless possibilities to experiment with color blocking and create unique styles and flattering looks.
For US size 6 pictured in this tutorial: 1 yard of IL042 908 FS Premier Finish Medium Weight Linen for the bodice and 2 yards of IL019 DRESS BLUE Softened Medium Weight Linen for the skirt. For larger sizes, please refer to the yardage table in the PDF pattern.
Matching sewing threads, lightweight fusible interfacing
Scissors, pins, ruler, chalk, fabric marker, measuring tape, sewing machine
You can access the multi-sized printable PDF pattern by following this link HERE. All seam allowances are included. The model is wearing size US size 6.
If you need help adjusting the pattern for a fuller bust, we have a great Full Bust Adjustment tutorial HERE.
Note: Prewash your fabric and tumble dry it until it is still slightly moist, dry at room temperature. Iron the fabric so it is easier to work with.
1. Attach the all-in-one facing to the dress bodice and sew the side seams following the instructions in this detailed tutorial.
Topstitch around the neckline and armholes 1/8” from the edge.
After you’ve completed all the steps in the tutorial, your bodice is pretty much assembled and you can set it aside for now and move on to the skirt.
2. Pin your skirt front and back pieces at the side seams right sides together and stitch at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance. Finish the seams together with a serger or a zigzag stitch and press towards the back of the dress.
3. Take your two pockets and pin one edge to the bodice waist and the other – to the skirt waist, right side to right side. Refer to the pocket placement marks in the pattern.
4. Stitch the pockets to the dress along the pinned edges at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance and finish the seams.
5. Press the pockets open so that the right sides are all facing outwards.
6. Pin the bodice and the skirt at the waist right sides together. Match up the side seams and the pocket edges.
7. Sew the pinned edges together at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance and serge/zigzag the raw edges together. Press the seam allowances down towards the skirt.
8. Hem the dress by folding the bottom raw edge twice to the wrong side: first 3/8” and then another 1”. Press and pin.
9. Edgestitch the hem starting and ending at the side seam. Remember to backstitch and press.
10. Give your dress one last good press and you are all done!
We love seeing what you make! Don’t forget to share your pictures and tag your creations with #FabricsStoreAikoPattern hashtag.