After waking up at the crack of dawn, dragging yourself to work and carting the kids off to soccer practice nothing is more inviting at the end of the day than a nice, cozy place to crash. But whether you get plenty of sleep or whether you are feeling a little sleep deprived, it is a scientific fact that you will spend over one third of your life asleep! So why not sleep in style with our do it yourself linen pillowcases perfect for catching some Z’s.
This project can be personalized any way you’d like’linen is ideal for hand embroidering or monogramming, and you can find a wide range of colors, so you can find just the fabric you need to match your dÃ©cor.
Linen Fabric: Using linen instead of the standard cotton elevates these pillowcases from a utilitarian item to a luxury one. Linen becomes soft and comfortable after the initial washing, and will add a touch of elegance to any bedroom.
You will need about one yard of fabric for each pillowcase you want to make.
“¢ Sewing machine and accessories (this project can be sewn by hand, but it will take longer to finish),
“¢ Yardstick and fabric marker or rotary cutter, ruler and mat
“¢ Iron and pressing surface
“¢ Hand sewing needle and thread
Note: This project uses a 1/2″ seam allowance. You will cut the fabrics, then assemble the pillowcase.
1. Cut out the fabric: Start out by measuring and cutting a piece of linen that is 43 inches wide x 30 inches long. It will look a little big at first but this will eventually make its way into a standard size pillowcase.
Tip: Use a rotary cutter and ruler to get the perfect cut every time. If you don’t have one, you can use a ruler and yardstick to measure your fabric, then cut with scissors.
2. Prepare to sew: Fold your fabric lengthwise so that the right sides are touching. (This means that the sides you want to “œshow” will be inside out.) Pin around three of the sides to ensure a straight sewing edge and help prevent the fabric from slipping.
3. Stitch the pillowcase: Sew together the three pinned sides of the pillowcase. The fastest way to do this is with a straight stitch on the sewing machine but this can also be done by hand if you have the patience.
4. Turn the pillowcase: Turn the pillowcase “œright side out” and press.
5. Hem the edges: Fold the hem of your case under ‘½ an inch and press. This will help keep the hem in place as you continue to the next step.
6. Finishing: Fold your hem once more, this time 4 inches under and press. Pin this hem in place, and sew by hand or machine to finish.
“¢ Finish off your pillowcase with a few fancy additions. Try adding a monogram, or use ribbons, lace and vintage buttons. Whatever you choose – just make it your own . . . your bedroom is the one place that should belong to you and only you so have fun with it!
“¢ A pair of luxury pillowcases makes a lovely gift’for an added touch, embroider with the recipient’s initials or monogram before assembling.
Don’t fight with the pillow, but lay down your head
And kick every worriment out of the bed.
~Edmund Vance Cooke