Our Skye pattern is an easy-going, but elegant tank dress that you can wear both ways. Versatile and reversible, it can be worn with the buttons in the front or down the back offering two different neckline options to go with your mood.
Simple and practical, Skye is easy to sew and would be suitable for all level sewists. Make the most of your sewing with this fun little dress.
For our sample US size 6 pictured in this tutorial we used 2 yards of IL042 907 FS Premier Finish Medium Weight Linen.
For other sizes, please refer to the yardage table in the PDF pattern to determine the required amount of fabric.
Matching sewing thread, 10 medium buttons (1/2”-3/4” wide)
Scissors, pins, ruler, chalk, measuring tape, fabric marker, buttonhole foot, seam ripper, needle, sewing machine
You can access the multi-sized printable PDF pattern by following this link HERE. All seam allowances are included and are 3/8” unless otherwise specified. The model is wearing US size 6.
Remember to transfer all the notches onto your fabric.
Note: Prewash your fabric and tumble dry it until it is still slightly moist, dry at room temperature. Iron the fabric so it is easier to work with.
1. To start, apply fusible interfacing (optional) to the wrong side of your button bands and sew as explained in this detailed tutorial.
2. Pin and stitch the front and back pieces right sides together at the shoulders using a standard 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance. Finish the seams with your preferred method (serge or zigzag the raw edges together) to prevent fabric from fraying. Press towards the back.
3. Bind the neckline as explained in this step-by step tutorial.
Be careful not to stretch the fabric and tuck in the ends as shown:
4. Finish the raw side seam edges of your front and back bodices separately. Pin the side seams right sides together and stitch the pinned edges at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance stopping at the notches indicating the beginning of the slits. Remember to backstitch at the beginning and the end of each seam. Press the seams open and the slits seam allowance 3/8” to the wrong side.
5. Topstitch the edges around the slits to keep them in place.
6. Bind the armholes using the same technique explained in this tutorial.
7. Hem the bottom of the dress. Fold the fabric twice to the wrong side (first 3/8”, then another 1/2″), press, pin and edgestitch.
8. Lastly, sew the buttonholes and attach the buttons to the front opening. For the buttonholes, you can follow our detailed tutorial HERE. As for the buttons, check our tutorial HERE for instructions. Refer to our PDF pattern for the exact buttonhole placement.
Overlap the bodice and place a pin into the center of each buttonhole. This is where you’ll need to attach the button.
9. Give your finished dress a good last press and you are all done!
We love seeing what you make! Don’t forget to share your pictures and tag your creations with #FabricsStoreSkyePattern hashtag.