This is a tutorial that goes hand in hand with ‘How to sew buttonholes‘. Knowing how to sew on buttons properly can prevent misplacement, and further sewing in the future.
Erasable fabric marker
1. Mark the placing for the button. A good way is to hold the button over the spot where you want your button to sit and make a mark under the center of the button onto the fabric.
2. Start the sewing by inserting the needle from the right side and back through, then tie a knot. This is to prevent the knot coming loose with the linen fabric, which is generally woven slightly more loose than other types of fabric.
3. Place the centre of the button over the knot. Start sewing the button onto the fabric with stitches over the holes.
4.’ You can do it horizontally, vertically or criss cross. With using matching colour thread, it is the best to mix different direction of stitches, as it will secure the button more.
5. After securing the button onto the fabric, tie a knot’ between the button and the fabric. Making sure the knot is hidden away behind the button. Cut thread.
Are you ready to make some beautiful linen stockings? They are a great use of your scraps. I recently had the honor of being featured in the Curated By You series, and I decided to use the leftover QUARTZ linen from my dress to make some new Christmas stockings for my family. We have quite the miss-matched collection…
Recently, I forced myself to take some time during one of my busiest times of the year, to purposefully go into nature and forage for sources of colour. I particularly love experimenting with new plants, seeing colour magically emerge from the dye bath. I love learning about the nuances of plants and familiarizing myself with…
There are so many dye plants in bloom during these warmer Summer months. I was recently surprised to find “Lady’s Bedstraw” growing in my neighbourhood. I am looking forward to the Autumn when I can harvest the roots for pinks and reds. With natural dyeing, you can use a few different parts of the plant:…
Is there anything better than getting out of the bath or shower and wrapping yourself up in a soft towel? While your daily bathing routine might not feel luxurious, our waffle weave bath towels can change that. To turn your bathroom into a fancy spa, just follow this tutorial and make a full set of…
- Embellished Linen Maxi Dress Tutorial
13 Sep 2016 @ 5:48 am by Lauren Gates
- Linen Tunic With Tassel Belt Tutorial
21 Oct 2016 @ 4:39 am by Lauren Gates
- Embellished Summer Dress Tutorial
21 Jun 2016 @ 4:08 am by Lauren Gates
- Reversible Button-Down Dress Tutorial
12 Jul 2016 @ 5:45 am by Lauren Gates
- How to make bias tape binding
27 Jan 2015 @ 3:32 am by Lauren Gates