Time: 3 – 5 hours
1. Decide how large you want your blanket to be. A standard throw blanket is approx. 50″ x 60″. Add in 3.5″ to each side for the fringe. This will make the total size you need to cut for the blanket 57″ x 67″. You could even just use the full 2 yard length for an extra-long blanket.
2. Cut off the sewn selvage edges.
3. Sew a seam 3.5″ in from each edge. You can use a straight seam or a zigzag seam. We just want to keep the fringe from fraying too far in on the blanket, and make a marker so we know when to stop removing threads.
4. Take a needle and start pulling away the threads in the blanket on the edges. You’ll start seeing your fringe develop.
Once you’ve created your fringe, you’re done! You can do a couple tack stitches at the corners to secure the threading on the blanket if you’d like.
To get this dual-toned fringe, use our Mix Natural color! The threads are woven with a different color on each side, giving it a dual tone. We have a few other dual toned fabrics in the Yarn Dye section.
A few years ago, I started to play with quilting clothes. The first few pieces turned out less than ideal. I didn’t know the paths to avoid the foibles of quilting. But after a few playful experiments and failed garments, things started to fall into place. I’ve put together this tutorial to share the things…
Most people usually say their favorite holiday is Christmas. Occasionally, you’ll hear someone claim New Year’s Eve, some may say Thanksgiving… but mine is Valentine’s Day, without a doubt. All the pinks and reds, laces and ruffles, themed treats and gifts; it’s so much fun! As a maker, I find myself always looking for opportunities…
The lovebirds – a most addictive little sewing project. They require just a few simple supplies and a quiet afternoon or evening. This tiny project can be used for a variety of purposes, the first being a Valentine’s gift for any age, especially when given as a pair. As a pretty gift topper tied under…
SEW THIS LOOK
- Alexandra Linen Morocco inspired Pants Tutorial
30 Sep 2016 @ 2:40 am by Emily Evans
- FS Colour Series: Lagoon inspired by Joan Eardley’s Leaden Skies
20 Feb 2024 @ 1:00 am by Kate Renwick
- Sewing Glossary: How to Draft and Sew a Shirt Yoke Tutorial
20 Feb 2018 @ 5:30 am by Understanding Sewing Yokes – An Easy Guide – Fairy Epic
- FS Colour Series: Japanese Blue Inspired by Katsushika Hokusai’s Deep Indigo
16 Feb 2024 @ 6:30 am by Jeanie Butler
- Pattern Review: Lily Dress in Insignia Blue Linen
06 Jul 2023 @ 2:51 am by Charlotte Switzer