Outfit your carefree days in this relaxed linen top. Uncomplicated boxy shape with a loose fit, rounded neckline, loose sleeves – this is an ideal item for everyday wear that will keep you cozy all year long. When working with a shape this simple, it’s all about the details. That’s why we decided to style it with two oversized patch pockets to turn it into something special.
The raw, textural feel of this pure premium quality linen fabric gives the top a soft, weightless drape and beautiful movement while the yarn-dyed threads add visual interest to this versatile women’s classic.
1.5 yards of IL042 907 Premier Finish Medium Weight linen
Matching sewing thread
Scissors, ruler, pins, chalk, fabric marker, sewing machine
You can access the top pattern by following this link HERE. Remember to add seam allowances as indicated in the pattern. The diagram shows the pattern for US size 6-8 (UK size 10-12). If you need help grading your pattern, please follow this tutorial and if you would like to add some side darts to accommodate a larger bust, we have a great FBA tutorial.
Note that you’ll also need to cut a strip of fabric on the bias that is 1.5″ wide and approximatively 25″ long for neckline binding. For detailed instructions on how to cut your bias tape please follow’ this tutorial.
Note: Prewash your fabric and tumble dry it until it is still slightly moist, dry in room temperature. Iron the fabric so it is easier to work with.
1. Let’s start with the pockets. Attach your pockets to the front of your top by following this detailed tutorial HERE
Place your pockets 2,5″ from the bottom and 2,5″ from each side.
2. Pin the front and the back of your top right sides together at the shoulders.
3. Sew the shoulder seams right sides together at 3/8″ (1 cm) seam allowance, remember to backstitch.
4. Trim the seam allowance down to 1/4″ (6 mm) and serge or zigzag the raw edges together to prevent the fabric from fraying. Press the seams flat folding the serged/zigzagged edges towards the back.
5. Bind the neckline by following this step-by-step tutorial.
6. Pin the sleeves to the armholes right sides together.
7. Sew at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance. Serge or zigzag the raw edges together to prevent the fabric from fraying. Press the serged/zigzagged seam allowances up towards the sleeves.
8. Pin the sleeves and the side seams right sides together.
9. Sew the pinned edges at a 3/8” (1 cm) seam allowance and finish the raw edges with a serger or a zigzag stitch. Press the seams flat folding the serged/zigzagged edges towards the back of your top.
10. Finish the sleeve openings with a rolled hem. Fold the fabric twice towards the wrong side, 3/8″ to 1 inch, press, pin and stitch.
11. Finish the bottom hem the same way you finished the sleeves: fold the fabric twice towards the wrong side, 3/8″ to 1 inch, press and pin. Make sure that your second fold is in line with the pockets seam line. You don’t want your finished hem to run over the pockets.
12. Stitch as close to the folded edge as possible to finish the bottom hem.
Give your top a good press and you are all done! Such a great basic to pair up with your favorite jeans or denim shorts.
Check out our selection of linen fabrics and see which color inspires you for this beautiful project!